Friday, January 09, 2009

Finish the Sentence...with Katrin Eismann

[annoying or not, we gotta do it: cue the game show music]
"It's time once again to ask a well-known photographer, instructor or otherwise interesting person the same 10 questions and ask them to Finish the Sentence! This week the sentences are finished by.... Katrin Eismann.

Katrin, please Finish the Sentence..."

My favorite photography accessory (lights, modifier, bag, tripod) is
my feet - because they get me to the places I like to shoot – be it on a walk near home or on a hike in the Black Forest. One of the most important things about photography for me is that it gets me outside – to see, hear, and experience the world.

I’ve learned the most from..
teaching. I love the questions and fresh point of views the students bring to the material. They think I’m teaching them! Its the exact opposite!

If I could go anywhere in the world it would be_____ because….
The Serengeti Plains because I’m tired of watching those wildebeests cross the river with the crocodiles on TV! Seriously I would love to experience the vast space and light and feel very, very small.

My most-used Photoshop add-on, plugin, action set (etc) is
Lightroom!

I love the fact that Photoshop
lets me experiment, grow, and explore ideas and imagination

I hate the fact that Photoshop
has changed how I look at images – sometimes I am so distracted by fussy details that I miss the entire point of the image. There is always something to refine, fix, change. Enough already!

If I could turn back the clock 10 years
I would take more calcium, learn how to conjugate French verbs, and make time for more creative opportunities. Just being busy doesn’t build strong bones.

In 10 years
I hope to be curious, creative, and open to making a lot of mistakes

If I could give one piece of advice it would be
take classes and don’t try to prove anything to anyone.

Your readers can find out more about me
at www.katrineismann.com and the project I am very proud of www.sva.edu/digitalphoto

Ladies, Gentlemen, let's hear it for Katrin Eismann
[The audience cheers & applauds wildly]

Katrin Eismann is an artist, teacher, and author on the subjects of imaging, restoration, retouching, and the impact of emerging technologies upon creative professionals. She is the author of Photoshop Restoration & Retouching and Photoshop Masking & Compositing and co-author of The Creative Digital Darkroom and Real World Digital Photography. In 2005, Katrin was inducted into the Photoshop Hall of Fame. Presently, Katrin is the co-founder and chair of the Masters of Professional Studies in Digital Photography at the School of Visual Arts in New York City.

1 comment:

eleanor said...

Thanks for the glimpse into Katrin's "self". Knowledge and wisdom are the best gifts!