Friday, August 21, 2009

Finish the Sentence...with Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman

"It's time once again to ask a well-known photographer, instructor or otherwise interesting person the same 10 questions and ask them to Finish the Sentence! This time, the sentences are finished by.... Ree Drummond.

Ree, please Finish the Sentence..."

My favorite photography accessory (lights, modifier, bag, tripod) is
Since I don't know how to use a Speedlight or a reflector or pretty much anything except my camera, I will focus on (heh heh) my favorite lenses: 85 mm 1.8. 50 mm 1.4. 20 mm 2.8. Love them, love them, love them.

I’ve learned the most from...
Dave Cross, who taught me about layer mask in a smoky, sweaty conference room in Oklahoma City back in January 2008...and trial and error.

If I could go anywhere in the world it would be_____ because….
A spa. because all I want in life is to have beauty treatments. I need a footrub, bad.

My most-used Photoshop add-on, plugin, action set (etc) is
I've created two action sets with the help of Doug Boutwell of Totally Rad Actions, and I use Warmer and Cooler like a crazy madwoman. I also love "Boost" which is the perfect bump in contrast and sharpness. And Slight Lighten, which is seriously just a tiny curve lighten and is hugely important to me. It's the little adjustment actions that I'm using more and more as my photography improves, not the sweeping, dramatic, change-everything actions. I'm maturing.

I love the fact that Photoshop
Exists

I hate the fact that Photoshop
Forces tabs. I hate tabs in Photoshop as much as I hate communism, tea, and bananas. And that is seriously a lot of hate. Why the tabs, Photoshop? And I haven't ever found a way to completely disable them. They're terrible. And they must be destroyed

If I could turn back the clock 10 years
I would never, ever pick up that Ding Dong in 2003. It started me on a really bad path of snacking.

In 10 years
I hope to know how to use a Nikon Speedlight.

If I could give one piece of advice it would be
"It ain't all that tragic." Please smile. Have fun. Don't get your feelings hurt so easliy. Life is fun, even when it's not so fun.

Your readers can find out more about me
at ThePioneerWoman.com

Ladies & Gentlemen, let's hear it for Ree Drummond!!
I’m a thirty-something ranch wife, mother of four, moderately-agoraphobic middle child who grew up on a golf course in the city. I attended college in Los Angeles and wore black pumps to work every day. I ate sushi and treated myself to pedicures on a semi-regular basis. I even kissed James Garner in an elevator once. Then, on a brief trip to my hometown, I met and fell in love with a rugged cattle rancher. Now I live in the middle of nowhere on a working cattle ranch. My days are spent wrangling children, chipping dried manure from boots, washing jeans, and frying calf nuts. I have no idea how I got here…but you know what? I love it. Don’t tell anyone.

I write about my decade-long transition from spoiled city girl to domestic country wife. I post photos of cows, horses, and my four weird children, and frequently include shots of cowboys wearing chaps. In my Photography section, I include Photography and Photoshop tutorials. In my Cooking section, I post step-by-step photos of all the cowboy-friendly dishes I’ve taught myself to cook through the years, and in Home & Garden, I chronicle the start-to-finish remodeling project of an old guest house on our ranch.

4 comments:

Erik aka feneur said...

I don't know if Ree will read this, but as far as I know one can turn off tabs by turning off the "Open Documents as Tabs" option among the interface options in the preferences dialog.

Personally I like them though, it's a really nice way to have things organized. I assume it can be different on a Mac perhaps, but on Windows they're at least really good.

Frank Severa said...

She seems like a very nice down to earth kind of lady. I love her Web Page. A great photographer who loves to cook, it don't get much better than that. Thanks Dave good choice.
cooksfriend

Tauratinswe said...

She hates tea and bananas as well as tabs? Kid's sick. '-)

Blonnie said...

I love her so much. First for her recipes and then I discovered her photography through her beautiful photos of the food. Hers is definitely favorite blog (no offense, Dave!)