Friday, September 25, 2009

Finish the Sentence...with Bob & Dawn Davis

"It's time once again to ask a well-known photographer, instructor or otherwise interesting person the same 10 questions and ask them to Finish the Sentence! This time, the sentences are finished by.... Bob & Dawn Davis.

Bob & Dawn, please Finish the Sentence..."

My favorite photography accessory (lights, modifier, bag, tripod) is
I would not not go on a shoot without my Radio Popper PX flash triggers. They have freed me from the limitation of line of sight while using multiple wireless Canon strobes.

I’ve learned the most from...
My days as a working photojournalist at the Chicago Sun-Times. Shooting daily and presented with different photographic challenges forces you to think on your feet. My first photo editor said "We can't publish an excuse." I live by this motto on every shoot.

If I could go anywhere in the world it would be_____ because….
Moldova, a small country in Eastern Europe. This is the country Dawn and I adopted our two beautiful children, Bobby and Alli. I would love to use my photographic skills by contributing to a non profit organization to help the many orphans there find forever families. Currently Moldova is the poorest country in Europe.

My most-used Photoshop add-on, plugin, action set (etc) is
This is a question for Dawn, my post production princess. She makes my images sing. Her favorite action set is from Kevin Kubota and her favorite action is Magic Sharp. Her other favorite action set is from Totally Rad and her favorite action is Pro Retouch.

If I could turn back the clock 10 years
I would have started learning more about business and marketing and putting that knowledge to use long before I left the newspaper industry.

In 10 years
I see Dawn and I creating a foundation to help loving families who can not afford the cost of adoption and do more pro bono work for charitable organizations. I see us traveling the world getting to know other cultures and using our cameras as passports. At some point, I see us creating a local photography education center where we can share our passion for education and sharing our knowledge.

If I could give one piece of advice it would be
Life life with passion, follow your dreams, and practice, practice, practice. Photography is an art, but it is also a craft and by practicing and knowing the craft you'll know what to do when the technology at hand is not giving you the results you want.

Your readers can find out more about me
Our photography site is www.bobanddawndavis.com and our photographers site is www.davisworkshops.com

Ladies & Gentlemen, let's hear it for Bob & Dawn Davis!!
Bob Davis is proud to be a member of the CANON family and the Canon Explorers of Light, a program created by Canon for the purpose of educating photographers. This is an elite group of 60 of the USA's best EOS photographers united in their love and passion for photographic excellence. He is also a proud member of the APPLE Aperture Advisory Board.

Bob is not a newcomer to the photographic industry. He's been a professional photographer for over 25 years. It was obvious to him at an early age that being a photographer was what he wanted to do with his life.

His passion for photography began back in high school when he became the editor of his newspaper. He then went on to Columbia College in Chicago and was named College Photographer of the Year. With this came a full time job at a daily newspaper and then on to a full time position for 14 years at the Chicago Sun-Times newspaper.

Bob's cameras have always been like a passport into history. He is continually honored when doors open and people invite him in to document their life. While at the paper, he had covered countless amazing events, such as presidential elections, Michael Jordan's entire career with the Chicago Bulls, every religious faith, and many tent revivals. He's traveled around the world to places such as El Salvador, Taiwan, Lithuania, Romania, Moldova, and Kenya for human interest stories. He will be heading to Tanzania, Africa to work on a documentary video in October 2009 for Thirst Relief (www.thirstrelief.org). He's even had the pleasure of riding to South Dakota on a Harley with the Hells Henchmen for the 50th Anniversary of Sturgis.

Bob have since moved on from the newspaper industry. Today, he has the privilege of photographing the most important events in his client's lives and he couldn't be more happy to have this honor.

1 comment:

ottawa baby photographer said...

Amazing Images. Love your blog Dave - go sens go