Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Very sad news

I found out this morning that Robb Kerr passed away yesterday after battling colon cancer for six years. Robb was one of the very first members of the Photoshop World "Dream Team", back in the days when all the classes were taught by 3 - 4 instructors. Robb also spend a few years traveling the country teaching the original Photoshop Seminar Tour, and was widely hailed as being a great teacher and communicator, with tons of knowledge about Photoshop and printing. Robb became ill at Photoshop World in San Diego in 2002, was diagnosed with cancer and was not expected to live more than months.
Robb fought his disease in ways no one thought possible, battling through various drugs and treatments, including experimental treatments. Throughout it all, he sent out regular updates to his friends, colleagues and supporters, always showing what I thought was an amazingly positive attitude. Over the last few years I was able to spend a small time with him when I was in Nashville and again, his attitude was inspiring.
In 2004 Robb was able to attend Photoshop World where he was presented with the NAPP Pioneer Award, for his contributions to the association and to recognize his teaching prowess.

Robb was a gifted educator, and simply one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. He will be sorely missed, and my prayers are with his family.

[edit] email received today from Robb's family:
FRIENDS AND FAMILY OF ROBB KERR…

We are saddened to announce that Robb died at home yesterday, September 29, surrounded by loving friends and family. During his final weeks under hospice care, he was made as comfortable and pain free as possible and he was at peace with what was happening. He was cheered by frequent visits from family and friends and regularly expressed his gratitude for the concern and prayers of so many.

Some of you knew Robb as family, some as a longtime friend, some as a professional colleague, and some as a patient. His professional career was as a digital designer/programmer and speaker/teacher at high-end digital graphics conferences. During his battle with cancer, he became an ardent patient advocate for cancer research and universal health care. As a friend, he was beloved by many.

A memorial celebration of his life will be held at 2:00 pm, Saturday, October 4, at Arlington United Methodist Church, 1360 Murfreesboro Road, Nashville. Visitation will follow the service in the church Fellowship Hall. Cremation will be followed by interment near Kerr family members in Des Moines, Iowa.

If you wish, memorial contributions can be made to the American Cancer Society or Arlington United Methodist Church.

Jesus said, "I am the resurrection and I am life. Those who believe in me, even though they die, yet shall they live, and whoever lives and believes in me shall never die." John 11.25-26

Grace and peace, THE KERR FAMILY

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave. 01/10/08 22:40 GMT. I had the pleasure of being in Robb's seminar room on the very first NAPP visit to Islington, London. As an ex NAPP member I vividly recall your response to a post of mine on the NAPP forum in which I had acknowledged Robb; although I had not said what a a generous, gifted and funny instuctor I thought he was. It saddened me to read your post at that time that Robb was poorly. It is very strange, but just 10 minutes before visiting your site this evening (Weds), I was sorting through some papers for my work and discovered the notes I had made in Robb's session that day. Was it 7 or 8 years ago? So, to read this is really sad. My condolences go out to Robb's family and I just want to say, as a personal memory of mine, that although Scott K did some time that afternoon session, I preferred Robb; he was just brilliant, and I sense that he went down really well with us Brits. He answered lots of questions at lunchtime and he was also pursued down the corridor, as he tried to grab a sandwich, by hoards of baying people, he answered every single question as he walked, his ponytail bobbing around that, just like a puppies tail, seemed to suggest he was loving every moment. He answered a question for me in depth and without hesitation whilst on the move. What an amazing encyclopaedic knowledge right there in his head, what a nice guy. It was a real experience to have been in the same room as him. God bless you Robb. Laurence.

Anonymous said...

I first met Rob in 2005, as C3: Colorectal Cancer Coalition was just getting off the ground. He was in Washington, DC for the organization's launch and to lobby Congress with us for increased funding and attention to colon cancer. When I found out his connection to NAPP, I was so thrilled to talk tech with him and pick his brain about everything Photoshop. He came back to DC for C3 in 2006, and I was once again impressed with this amazing soul who never stopped fighting.

We (C3) have posted about his death as well. I am so sorry he's gone, but I hope he is finally at peace after fighting for so long.

David Blatner said...

Robb was an amazing guy, and a true friend. I first met him around 1991, and he was always helpful, cheerful, and generous with his knowledge (which was extensive). I'm so glad I got a chance to see him and give him a hug one last time when I was in Nashville in June.