Friday, May 15, 2009

Finish the Sentence...with Jeff Schewe

[blast it-the all-to-familiar game show music]
"It's time once again to ask a well-known photographer, instructor or otherwise interesting person the same 10 questions and ask them to Finish the Sentence! This week the sentences are finished by.... Jeff Schewe.

Jeff, please Finish the Sentence..."

My favorite photography accessory (lights, modifier, bag, tripod) is
On my recent photo trip to Antarctica I would have to say my favorite accessory I took was my LowePro SlingShot 300AW bag because it allowed me the ability to work out of the case without having to put my bag down in all the penguin guano (and there's always a ton of guano down there).

I’ve learned the most from..
School. I was fortunate enough to go to Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) and was forced to take a lot of courses I didn't realize would be important down the road; physics, optics, chemistry to name a few related to photography. But also other courses such as economics and accounting and business law that gave me a grounding on the business side of photography.

If I could go anywhere in the world it would be_____ because….
Australia or New Zealand because it's way on the other side of the world and very exotic but they still speak English (with funny accents). That and there are neat things to shoot there...

My most-used Photoshop add-on, plugin, action set (etc) is
PhotoKit Sharpener for image sharpening (although I'm needing it less and less as I use Lightroom more and more).

I love the fact that Photoshop
Gives me absolute total control over my photographic images...

I hate the fact that Photoshop
Gives me absolute total control over my photographic images...

It's a trick answer...(was it a trick question?)
I love the fact that I have total control but that also comes with a responsibility to use it well. There really are no longer any valid excuses any more as to why an image doesn't work except perhaps you don't know how to do something in Photoshop.

If I could turn back the clock 10 years
I would be 10 years younger (and 50 pounds lighter because I didn't use Photoshop all the time)

In 10 years
I have no idea what I'll be doing but I intend to be having fun (whatever or wherever I am)

If I could give one piece of advice it would be
Don't do things to please other people, do things that please your own sense of artistic ambition. Be true to your own vision...

Your readers can find out more about me
http://www.schewephoto.com

Ladies and Gentlemen, let's hear it for Jeff Schewe!!!

Jeff Schewe is the coauthor of "Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS4" and coauthor with Martin Evening on their new title: "Adobe Photoshop CS4 for Photographers–The Ultimate Workshop". Jeff is a member of the NAPP Photoshop Hall of Fame. An award winning advertising photographer by trade, he is known as a digital pioneer and has been a long term alpha/beta tester for Photoshop, Camera Raw and Lightroom. Jeff is also a founding partner in PixelGenius, LLC makers of the PhotoKit™ line of plug-ins.

2 comments:

Brain said...

Really your your - Finish your sentence ... each week. Get some good insights sometimes.

Saw a remarkable shuttle photo made with a Canon 5D and 5" telescope - http://www.astrosurf.com/legault/atlantis_hst_transit.html

All the best
Brian

Israel Flores said...

I know photoshop is one of your main things, but since you are a photographer as well, I figure maybe you'd be interested in posting a link or talking about a small photo challenge I have on my blog. I don't have huge prices to give away, but it is more of a mental challenge. I see it as one of your photoshop challenge questions, but for photography.
http://israelfloresphotography.blogspot.com/

Thank you

Israel