Friday, July 24, 2009

Finish the Sentence...with Kenny Kim

"It's time once again to ask a well-known photographer, instructor or otherwise interesting person the same 10 questions and ask them to Finish the Sentence! This time, the sentences are finished by.... Kenny Kim.

Kenny, please Finish the Sentence..."

My favorite photography accessory (lights, modifier, bag, tripod) is
I love my L series lenses by Canon! My job requires me to be constantly on the move so I can't lug around a heavy load of gear. But I make sure to pack my prime lenses for this kind gig.

I’ve learned the most from...
Philosophically speaking, passion, detail and greatness in any field helps me to learn the most. Passion for anything is inspiring and makes me curious about where that passion comes from and how it affects people. Details are the subtleties that often make the difference between good and great. And frankly, if you have a high level of passion and detail, it seems to often translate to greatness. So when I see greatness, I wonder what combination of both allowed them to achieve that greatness. On a tangible level, I often enjoy walking the halls of museums to view greatness on display. I like spending time dissecting the details and nuances of each piece to find what makes each of them so different and so special. But the same can be said for any great businessmen, athlete, architect or poet. I like to think that if I spend enough time around great, detail-oriented, passionate people, some of it might rub off on me as well!


Within the wedding photography industry, I've learned a great deal from veterans such as Mike Colón, Bob Davis, Yervant, Joe Bussink, [b]ecker, Skip Cohen, David Jay, Dane Sanders, plus more. All these guys have been instrumental and inspiration in my career path and I owe alot to them for setting an example and standard of how things should be in this industry.

If I could go anywhere in the world it would be_____ because….
Italy right now because that is where life and beauty is evident everywhere - in their culture, nature and in their history. It has changed the way I view my life so much that I am actually bringing a group of photographers with me in September (14-21) for a small workshop/tour.

My most-used Photoshop add-on, plugin, action set (etc) is
I have been drifting away from using too many actions these days and have focused on creating a clean shot straight out of the camera. However, I still love to use actions by Yervant, Totally Rad & Kevin Kubota. I use these sparingly to enhance the moment. Lately I've been using this really cool tool/action call BlogStomp. It is a simple PS action that shaves ton of your time while preparing images for blogging by automatically resizing, sharpening, placing a watermark logo and saving it afterwards for web. It is such a simple but a genius idea in helping you shave some time off from blogging. Check them out!


I love the fact that Photoshop
Has so many tools to help you create a work of art with your image. Possibilities are endless these days!

I hate the fact that Photoshop
For the same reason above, I dislike the fact that sometimes I depend on it to alter the photos so much to create something in post-processing instead of practicing on creating that right moment.

If I could turn back the clock 10 years
would have started in this career path earlier. But at the same time, I don't regret it because part of who I am is from the result of things that happened in my life during those 10 years - so part of who I am today is based on the past. :)

In 10 years
I hope to still be shooting weddings but also be more involved in more personal / volunteer projects globally.


If I could give one piece of advice it would be
Give it all. Don't let fear hold you back and do what ever it takes to follow your dream!

Your readers can find out more about me
http://blog.kennykim.com
http://www.twitter.com/kennykim
http://www.facebook.com/

Ladies & Gentlemen, let's hear it for Kenny Kim!!

Kenny Kim has always been fascinated by the visual arts - and especially the connection between art & photography. His passion first led to the study of graphic design at the University of Illinois, where he also became a skilled web designer and eventually opened up his own design studio in 2003. It was during this period, he began to realize that the greatest outlet for his artistic expression and technical skills would be through his passion for photography.

Incorporating his own vision into the technical elements of photography, Kenny's goal with each photo he takes is to present each moment he captures with a subtle artistry that enhances the feel of the moment. With the launch of Kenny Kim Photography in 2006, Kenny's vision for a photographer's work instantly resonated with his audience and within a short period of time, Kenny Kim Photography has now grown into a nationally recognized studio. In just over 3 short years, Kenny has been commissioned for
over 100 weddings in locations throughout the United States, Europe the Caribbean. He was also retained to shoot for the University of Illinois Menʼs Basketball, Football & Tennis teams along with various celebrity events featuring David Foster, Andrea Bocelli, John Legend, Three Doors Down, Katharine McPhee and many others.

Kenny currently resides in Chicago, Illinois. He is thankful everyday for the privilege to call his passion in life, his profession as well.

No comments: