Thursday, March 18, 2010

I feel sorry for Illustrator

A few weeks ago we were in San Francisco to celebrate the 20th aniversary of Photoshop. It was a pretty big deal, featuring a bunch of well-known folks talking about the birth of Photoshop. Heck, there is even a web site dedicated to the 20 years of Photoshop.

Meanwhile, poor old Adobe Illustrator turned 20 three years ago, with barely a wimper of recognition. Looking back now, the only thing I could find was this cool video on John Nack's blog - it came with Illustrator in 1987. I feel badly, since I didn't really do anything to recognize this important occasion myself, especially since it was Illustrator in 1987 that really got me started in teaching.

Anyways, happily belated anniversary to Adobe Illustrator - you're 23 years old, and as great as ever!

5 comments:

madmonkeylove said...

That's right, poor Illustrator! Happy Birthday Illustrator! You will always be my no.1 vector tool!

Redbird Media & said...

Yeah, let's hear it for Illustrator! Happy 23rd birthday! I've been with you since Illustrator 88.

GBee said...

You know I thought about Illustrator while sitting in the audience at the Photoshop party - like where was the party for AI? It's the first Adobe tool I ever used (AI 1.0 for PC with run-time Windows). So yes, Happy belated Illustrator.

Gavin said...

I have always felt that Illustrator was the older sibling that didn't get any attention. Is there anything good out there like NAPP for Illustrator?

emgower said...

I used Illustrator before Photoshop and it still has a special place in my heart. How about dedicating a whole issue of Layers Magazine to Illustrator in celebration of it's birthday.