Friday, March 27, 2009

Finish the Sentence...with Chris Orwig

[dance along with the beat of your favorite game show music]
"It's time once again to ask a well-known photographer, instructor or otherwise interesting person the same 10 questions and ask them to Finish the Sentence! This week the sentences are finished by.... Chris Orwig.

Chris, please Finish the Sentence..."

My favorite photography accessory (lights, modifier, bag, tripod) is
The one that I didn't pack in my bag. And I'm not just saying that. As a photographer, I like to travel as light as possible. Therefore, I don't really like accessories. In thinking about this, I quickly looked up the word accessory and came across this, "nonessential but desirable that contributes to an effect or result". Thus, I prefer the essentials and have even been known to cut off unnessary straps and logos on my camera bags in order to keep things simple.

I’ve learned the most from..
While I was at graduate school, I spent two months volunteering with Cancer patients. It was incredibly hard but I am grateful for those times. Listening to people who are dying teaches you a lot about living.

If I could go anywhere in the world it would be_____ because….
I recently took a trip and upon return home, I again realized how much I apprecaite day to day life. So I'd have to say my hometown of Santa Barbara. I'm married to the woman of my dreams and we have two daughters 4 1/2 and 3 1/2. I love those three so much it hurts. Where they are, I want to be.

My most-used Photoshop add-on, plugin, action set (etc) is
I enjoy the OnOne plugins.

I love the fact that Photoshop
Makes me think, grow and change.

I hate the fact that Photoshop
Hate is a strong word, and I don't find myself using it in association with striving to create compelling photos.

If I could turn back the clock 10 years
I once read a Mark Twain short story about time. He used paradoy to communicate the value of "now". Ever since I've read that I've worked to fully and whole heartedly live in the present.

In 10 years
see above

If I could give one piece of advice it would be
I think Gil Baile said it well, " Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

Your readers can find out more about me
http://www.chrisorwig.com
http://www.chrisorwig.com/flipside

Ladies, Gentlemen, let's hear it for Chris Orwig!


Chris Orwig is a photo faculty member of Brooks Institute in Santa Barbara, California. He is a photographer, interactive designer, author and speaker. Chris aims to bring authenticity and creativity to all that he does. As a photographer he agrees with Marc Riboud, "Taking pictures is savoring life intensely, every hundredth of a second."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe it was Dr. Howard Thurman who is the author of that quote....a favorite of mine as well.