Friday, April 17, 2009

Finish the Sentence...with Kevin Ames

[start up the very familiar game show music]
"It's time once again to ask a well-known photographer, instructor or otherwise interesting person the same 10 questions and ask them to Finish the Sentence! This week the sentences are finished by.... Kevin Ames.

Kevin, please Finish the Sentence..."

My favorite photography accessory (lights, modifier, bag, tripod) is
my handheld incident light meter (Sekonic L-758dr)

I’ve learned the most from..
Dean Collins and from looking at pictures and listening to other photographers discuss their work.

If I could go anywhere in the world it would be_____ because….
Mt. Kilimanjaro because one of my goals it to hike to the top.

My most-used Photoshop add-on, plugin, action set (etc) is
re Color FXPro 3, Sharpener, Silver EfX, Exposure 2 PhotoFrame 4 and Focal Point. Come on I really have more than one "fave." My most used really depends on the project!

I love the fact that Photoshop
continues to add must have features with every release

I hate the fact that Photoshop
continues to add must have features with every release that I absolutely must learn how to use! Can you say "3-D?"

If I could turn back the clock 10 years
I'd invest all my money in Apple and McDonald's,

In 10 years
Photoshop's standard file will be a 32-bit 3D hologram.

If I could give one piece of advice it would be
Keep shooting, look at what you shoot--often and learn to see what you look at.

Your readers can find out more about me
amesphoto.com and kevinames.com

Ladies & Gentlemen Boys & Girls, let's hear it for Kevin Ames!
[music fades, much applause and dancing in the aisles]
Kevin Ames started his current business, Ames Photographic Illustration, Inc., in 1983. Photography has taken Kevin on assignments across the U.S. and Europe working for clients ranging from AT&T, Days Inns, SAS Hotels and Westin Hotels, to Carter’s Atlanta, Honda Power Equipment, La-Z-Boy Furniture and Price Waterhouse Coopers. His work has appeared in Time, The Wall Street Journal and he is a contributing photographer for Jezebel and Atlanta Sports and Fitness magazines.
He entered the digital revolution early in 1993. By the fall of 1994 his studio offered hybrid digital services—shooting film, scanning, retouching, compositing and CMYK conversions. He began speaking on digital photography and editing at Professional Photograhers of America events in 1996 and today speaks at several events for PPA, ASMP, APA and NAPP including Photoshop World where he is one of their Dream Team Instructors. He writes the Digital Photographer’s Notebook for Photoshop User magazine and has authored four books on digital photography and Photoshop including both “Photoshop CS and Photoshop CS2 The Art of Photographing Women, Digital SLR Photography with Photoshop CS2 for Dummies and his latest book The Digital Photographer’s Notebook A Pro’s guide to Photoshop CS3, Lightroom and Bridge. He has authored training discs for Software Cinema starting with Photoshop 7.

2 comments:

Christopher said...

A few months ago I met Kevin. He was judging a series of photos for a local group. Mine was one of those photos. I learned more in the 2 minutes he spent on my image than I had for all of the other "learning" I had done for the months before that.

I liked his blunt style and how he was brutally honest with his thoughts.

We need more people like Kevin.

john4jack said...

The 3 Nik plug-ins and the 2 onOne plug-ins are exactly the ones that I use with some frequency.